Paul is an Enrolled Actuary who brings over thirty-five years of experience providing pension actuarial, plan design consulting and directed trustee services to both qualified and non-qualified retirement plans. During his career, he has been directly involved in development of office automation solutions and management of IT infrastructure for benefits administration. He also gained experience in ERISA custody services, leading a state chartered trust company for four years.
Prior to joining Pension Live, Paul gained qualified plan experience with The Wyatt Company (now part of WillisTowersWatson), and Aldrich Benefit Solutions; non-qualified plan experience with the Management Compensation Group (now M Benefits Solutions), and office automation experience as the technology partner for 18 years with DPA Inc. (sold to Standard Insurance Company in 2007). He was president of Crown Point Trust Company (formerly Columbia Trust Company) from 2005 to 2009.
His experience includes:
- Designing qualified and nonqualified retirement plans that are consistent with the plan sponsor’s objectives
- Determining the required funding and accounting for pension, SERPs and postretirement medical plans
- Expertise with qualified benefit limitations of section 415 if the Internal Revenue Code, as applicable to highly compensated employee benefits in both qualified and non-qualified retirement plans.
- Developer of statistical software used to forecast pension liabilities
- Primary management and DBA responsibility of a 24x7 participant website for a daily valued defined contribution platform.
- President of a regulated Oregon chartered Trust Company providing directed trustee and asset custody services to over 600 qualified plans.
He applies his expertise to help clients with their plan design consulting needs, annual pension valuations, pension forecasting, pension financial disclosures and benefit calculations. He works as a liaison to Pension Live’s Solution Management group in delivering automation solutions for defined benefit plan administration.
Paul has a B.A in Mathematics and in Economics from the University of Colorado (Boulder). He is an Enrolled Actuary under ERISA, an Associate of the Society of Actuaries, a Member of the American Academy of Actuaries, a Member of the Society of Pension Actuaries, and a Fellow in the Conference of Actuaries.